There are many different branches of dentistry available to dental patients, and sometimes it can be difficult to know which one to choose. While your general or family dentist will be able to resolve most common issues, others may require treatment from a specialist. Whether you need a root canal, braces, or maxillofacial surgery, an All-In-One Florida dental plan can help make your care affordable.
Get to Know Your General Dentist
Determining which specialist to go to typically starts with a visit to your general dentist. Your general or family dentist should hold a four-year doctorate degree in dentistry and be able to perform common procedures like:
- Regular cleanings
- Cavity fillings
- Fluoride treatments
- Root canals
These are just some examples of the routine procedures your general dentist can perform. If you have a child who needs treatment, you may need to see a pediatric dentist before being referred to a specialist.
The Different Dental Specialties
If your general dentist is unable to help you, he or she will refer you to a specialist depending on the treatment required. These specialties include:
- Endodontics: Endodontists treat the inner area of the tooth including the nerve canal and surrounding tissue.
- Orthodontics: Orthodontists realign teeth, bite, and facial balance through braces and other corrective devices including retainers.
- Oral Surgery: Oral or maxillofacial surgeons can remove wisdom teeth, insert dental implants, treat jaw disorders, and reconstruct facial features after serious injury.
- Periodontics: Periodontists treat conditions that cause damage to the gums and bone, like gingivitis and periodontitis.
- Prosthodontics: Prosthodontists can replace missing teeth and perform many cosmetic procedures that also improve function including crowns, bridges, implants, and dentures.
Other Factors to Consider
Besides being trained and experienced in his or her field, your general dentist or specialist should genuinely care about helping you reach your optimal health and achieve your desired outcome in a safe and comfortable environment. Fortunately, the affordable providers in our Florida family dental plans are ready and available to do just that.